Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Surstromming!

Hi everyone!
  This week has been pretty good so far. I suppose the first and foremost, there's been notification of an upcoming transfer. This Wednesday I'll be leaving Landskrona and Helsingborg (aww...), and I'll be heading up north to Stockholm (yay?) the borough of Hagersten. It should be good. I've had a great time getting to know the people down here in Skåne, and I like them a lot, but it should be good having a bit of change of scenery, too.
  In other news, this week has all in all been good. On Monday we went to this place called Ales Stenar (maybe I mentioned that last week?). It's sort of like a Swedish Stonehenge, and was apparently an old Viking graveyard type of a thing. It's pretty cool, we have a lot of pictures, which I will send soon.
  On Wednesday we went to the W's (a member family's) house (garden thing), and we had the opportunity of trying the very Swedish dish of Surströmming, which is essentially fermented herring. The smell was really rather terrible, but the fish itself didn't taste bad at all. It smelled kind of like a toilet, but just tasted like fish and salt. We ate it with a lot of potatoes and onion, and it tasted pretty good (I thought, anyways, my companion didn't like it at all). It was, all in all, an experience. No one else liked the Surströmming. They all thought it was pretty gross.
  The rest of the week has gone fairly well. We're still teaching N and some of our other investigators, and we've started trying to teach A Swedish, which is going fairly well. So far we've really just covered greetings and such, but it's good. All in all things are going fairly well here. Today we're planning on heading down to a shopping center in Malmö, which should be fun.
 
You asked about a favorite scripture? Umm... I feel like it's kind of hard to say what my favorite scripture is. One that I like a lot is D&C 18: 10, 15-16 (well, 10-16 are all good), which you probably recognize as one of the scripture masteries from this year. But I like a lot how it sort of emphasizes how much the Lord values us. God cares about us individually, and He wants us to find happiness and help others find it, as well. I also kind of like Alma 5:45-46 because it emphasizes how important prayer is (i.e. despite the fact that Alma saw an angel and had a vision and everything, he still attributes his testimony to prayer and the Holy Ghost).
 
Hope you all have a great week.
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment