Monday, January 20, 2014

Zone Training, etc.

Hey everyone!
  The last week has been pretty good. The biggest event to have happened has probably been the Zone Training meeting that we had on Wednesday, but it's been overall a fairly good week. 
  Yeah, on Wednesday we went down to our Zone Training meeting. It was in Västerfrölunda, which is a suburb of Göteborg (Gothenburg?), which took about 3 hours to get to by train. The meeting itself talked a bit about teaching skills. The zone leader had us do a lot of role plays (practice lessons) that were critiqued by the rest of the zone / district (when we divided into districts).   The meeting went well; we focused primarily on how teaching skills and how we can effectively meet our investigator's concerns in a lesson or teaching environment. It also sort of emphasized practicing teaching with other missionaries so that we can develop good lesson plans. Overall, it was pretty interesting. And, of course, everyone got lunch afterward. It was kind of weird, though, because I don't really know anyone in the Zone. I guess I'll be getting to know them better over the next few months. 
  Aside from that, the week has been fairly good, though someone uneventful. We've been doing a lot of the usual stuffs, swing by's, lessons with investigators, calling people, etc. It's all been good work, but not too much has really happened yet. But we'll have more of interest soon! 
Dad has mentioned that friendshipping teens in the branches is important. My main problem is that there just aren't a lot of teens in any of the branches here. I think that there was one in Eskilstuna that we had just started to meet with the play ping pong and such, but then I was transferred out (which is too bad, because he seemed like a pretty cool kid and I was just starting to get to know him because he's less active...). But I definitely thing it's important to be friends with people, especially people that you work with or branch members or what have you. I feel like there's quite a few less actives that just don't come because they don't feel like they have any friends at church. And people are more willing to listen to friends than to random people who just want to come and teach them a lesson and go, like a lot of missionaries do. Anyways, I could rant for a while about this, but I'll spare you. 
  When we have dinner at someone's house, we usually share a spiritual thought. Usually I just read a passage from the Book of Mormon and elaborate some on it. One of my favorites is reading Alma 5:45-46 and then talk some about Alma the younger's conversion and why and how he gained a testimony of the Gospel. I like that scripture. 
 As for interesting contacts or investigators... uh, a few weeks ago some drunk guy started talking to us with something like "Hey, Mormons!" He actually ended up being pretty nice, but he was completely intoxicated. I just thought it was kind of funny because he looked, sounded, and acted kind of like a muppet. I wouldn't have been too surprised if marionette strings had been caught on something getting on or off the bus; it was a kind of funny experience.
  Either way, I hope all is well with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment